30 Jul 2011

Daniel Radcliffe, no longer the prisoner of alcohol


Ten years ago, Daniel Radcliffe was cast in a role that would change his life forever; that of the bespectacled boy wizard Harry Potter.
But along with the instant popularity and fame came the side effects, alcohol. In an interview with GQmagazine on Sunday, Radcliffe admitted that the pressures of fame and the need to fit into his newfound 'celebrity lifestyle' made him reliant on alcohol.
Radcliffe stopped drinking last August and has not touched a drop of alcohol ever since he realised that ha was getting increasingly "complacent" about his job as he developed a penchant for whisky and partying.
He said: "I became so reliant on [alcohol] to enjoy stuff. There were a few years there when I was just so enamoured with the idea of living some sort of famous person's lifestyle that really isn't suited to me." Radcliffe became dependent on alcohol after he turned 18 and was filming Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince.
Now, he prefers to spend his evenings at home with his girlfriend rather than at parties. "I'm actually enjoying the fact I can have a relationship with my girlfriend where I'm really pleasant and I'm not ----ing up totally all the time," he said of his new lifestyle. He said he was fortunate that the paparazzi failed to capture his drink-fuelled excess.
"As much as I would love to be a person that goes to parties and has a couple of drinks and has a nice time, that doesn't work for me. I do that very unsuccessfully. I'd just rather sit at home and read, or talk to somebody that makes me laugh. There's no shame in enjoying the quiet life. And that's been the realisation of the past few years for me," he said.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II, the last instalment in the franchise, will be released later this month. Radcliffe said he felt "emotional, nostalgic, elated" that the series based on JK Rowling's books was coming to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment